SmashWorldCommunity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The New Site (2/28 - 3/07)
Project Melee EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 1:38 am by ShockBubble

» Community Migration!
Project Melee EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 7:22 pm by DuxTape

» Possible new site. Should we migrate?
Project Melee EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 3:11 pm by Rollupntraff

» New Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS screenshot - February 28th
Project Melee EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 1:37 pm by Lugia2453

» Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection shutting down on May 20th
Project Melee EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 9:15 am by halibabica

» New Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS screenshot - February 27th
Project Melee EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 8:19 pm by Taidow

» Nintendo Download - 2/27/14
Project Melee EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 11:45 am by Lugia2453

» New Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS screenshot - February 25th
Project Melee EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 5:34 pm by ZeldaFan996

» New Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS screenshot - February 26th
Project Melee EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 1:09 pm by DuxTape

» Wii U/3DS eShop sales - February 25th
Project Melee EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 11:55 am by Lugia2453

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Project Melee

+3
ZeldaFan996
halibabica
DarkMarth
7 posters

Go down

Project Melee Empty Project Melee

Post by DarkMarth Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:16 am

Well the forum has been rather quiet lately, with the exception of a few visits from active users and guests. So, I'm going do a bit of debate posting to bring a bit of activity back.

As we all know, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] originated as an attempt to restore Falco to his Melee counterpart. But with much support, the project transformed into so much more than just a mere Melee revival. The Dev team has turned it into so much more than just Melee mechanics. Various additions were made to give it its own identity. Many of the characters are unrecognizable, in terms of their play style. A good example of this is Charizard. Unlike his Brawl counterpart, Charizard has become an independent character who's attacks are mainly focused on getting foes airborne. A lot of his arial attacks are also made more devastating.

So today, I'm going to ask you what you guys think of the ideas adopted by Project M. Are you satisfied, would this be something you want in the next Smash Brothers, do you prefer this over standard Brawl?

Leave a comment telling us your thoughts.

Writer's Perspective:
I personally like a lot of te concepts adopted by Project M. It brings back that pure Melee experience but adds so much more. While some of characters remain in their Melee form, others have transformed into something greater. The inclusion of new sages and remade stages also enhance the experience greatly.

In short, it is a brand new Melee.
DarkMarth
DarkMarth
Admin

Male Posts : 706

https://smashworldcommunity.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Project Melee Empty Re: Project Melee

Post by halibabica Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:22 am

I've never tried Project M, so I can't speak for its quality or anything. It kinda bothers me on some level, though. I was always irritated to hear people whine about how Melee's so much better than Brawl, and this project just seems like the most extreme case of that to me: players so stuck in the past that they're turning Brawl into Melee.

Don't get me wrong, I think they're both good games in their own right. It just bothers me to see the lengths someone will go for their personal preferences. Maybe next they'll make a project where the only cast member is Fox, and I think you can guess what the only stage would be.
halibabica
halibabica

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeldaFan996 Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:30 pm

I used to have the demo installed, but I actually got bored of it rather quickly, so I took it off.

One interesting thing I found was that when saving replays on Project M, then taking Project M off, the replays revert back to their original stage instead of the Project M stage. This means that the inputs stay the same, which can lead to some hilariously bad replays.
ZeldaFan996
ZeldaFan996

Male Posts : 792

Back to top Go down

Post by Taidow Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:37 pm

I played PM with a friend but I don't like it. It seems like the people were stuck in the past and couldn't accept Brawl. Some of the movesets were interesting but got too crazy and bizarre.

I think PM shows what not to do for actual SSB games.
Taidow
Taidow

Male Posts : 670

Back to top Go down

Post by Lugia2453 Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:48 pm

I haven't played Project M, but I do like the ideas adopted by it. I like some of the new/changed attacks of some characters such as Toon Link's spin attack; I think some of the moves are better than the ones made by Nintendo. Also, the Skyloft stage is a nice stage; there should be a Skyward Sword stage in the next Smash games.

Edit: I'm moving this thread to Smash Discussion, since Project M is a hack of Brawl and not so much a separate game.
Lugia2453
Lugia2453
Admin

Male Posts : 1384

Back to top Go down

Post by Killing_Edge Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:38 am

Wow what's with all the hate on Project M? I for one prefer PM over brawl, I don't even touch brawl anymore ever since I have converted myself to competitive play.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to disagree with Taidow. While its true that this project is trying to resurrect melee I would hardly call it being stuck in the past. Truth be told this team is taking taking aspects from both melee and brawl and modifying them.

Now I get that we each have our own opinion and feel for PM, I myself am now a competitive gamer and favor PM. Though it's perfectly understandable if you wish to stick with brawl, not everyone likes to play competitively.

That's the thing about Super Smash Bros. it's like they can't decide whether it's a party game or a fighting game.
Killing_Edge
Killing_Edge

Male Posts : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by halibabica Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:45 pm

I always looked at it as both a party game AND fighting game. There are those who take it more seriously, but plenty there for the casual crowd as well.

As far as competitive play goes in regard to Project M...I feel like players are kinda deluding themselves. They're not playing Brawl competitively. They're playing PM. I'd treat them as completely different things.

It always bugs me when people say they're pros at Smash Bros. when they only play as one character on one stage, or play hacks/mods. They might be good at that one aspect of the game, but take them anywhere outside their comfort zone and things can get quite ugly.
halibabica
halibabica

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxTape Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm

I think it's the combination of casuality and playability for pros that makes Smash a unique game.

You can have a serious match, but you can also have great shenanigans on stages like Hyrule Temple. Even after six years it's still my most played Wii game.

DuxTape

Male Posts : 350

Back to top Go down

Post by Killing_Edge Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:26 pm

Yes exactly halibabica, a game like SSB it's home to both serious and casual gamers alike. That's the brilliance of SSB it appeals to two audiences.

But what's wrong with trying to improve an already great game? Brawl is definitely not a perfect game I'm sure we can agree, and that's why I enjoy PM.

PM's goal is to restore fast and technical gameplay (Wave dash) but this is not just limited to competitive players. Don't take my absolute word for it, but I believe that there was a poll of some sort proving that even majority of casual gamers prefer PM over normal Brawl, simply because PM is better balanced than Brawl.

Fun fact: PM developers have stated that if they were to directly port Meta Knight into PM without touching any of his data, he would still be the best character.

Brawl speed MK > Melee speed fox

They're toning done MK.
Killing_Edge
Killing_Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by halibabica Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:25 pm

But that's just it. Again, I don't look at it in terms of 'better' or 'worse', just different. Melee has faster physics than Brawl, yeah, making the latter a bit slower-paced. But the impression I get is that those who favor Project M weren't willing to adapt to Brawl's changes, instead believing that the past iteration (more what their used to) is superior. It's definitely a "to each his own" thing, but I think a lot of players don't give Brawl the credit it deserves.

Last edited by halibabica on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
halibabica
halibabica

Back to top Go down

Post by ZeldaFan996 Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:12 pm

I like 'em both. They each serve their purpose well.

ZeldaFan996
ZeldaFan996

Male Posts : 792

Back to top Go down

Post by Killing_Edge Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:30 pm

Well whether you look at it as 'better' or 'worse' it is pretty much fact that PM is better balanced than Brawl AND melee. Whether you interpret that as better or not is up to you, but I for one believe fighting games should be as fair as possible, as to not hinder one's skill.

I respect your opinion halibabica, and believe me I had no intention of bashing Brawl. Brawl was a truly great game, and without its inspiration PM could not exist. Brawl deserves much credit.

ZeldaFan put it excellently, both brawl and PM serve their purpose. PM for the players who delve deep into the mechanics, and Brawl for those who aren't worried about tiers and such.
Killing_Edge
Killing_Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down